The National Elephants come from behind to trounce Guinea-Bissau

Goals from Sekou Ketia and Abdoulaye Camara saw Guinea come from behind to beat Guinea-Bissau 2-1 in a Last 16, 2017 WAFU Cup of Nations match at the Cape Coast Sports Stadium on Sunday, September 10.

The Djurtus took the ascendancy early on and opened the scoring in the 15th minute when Gilson Correia headed a pin-point free-kick from the left by Tigana Quebe into the back of the net, 1-0.

Guinea almost levelled matters in the 27th minute when a shot-cum-cross from the right by Seydouba Camara came back off the crossbar.

Three minutes later the National Elephants were afforded the perfect opportunity to equalise when Hemiliano Gomes Lopes pulled Ismael Sylla down inside the box and the referee pointed to the spot.

Sekou Ketia stepped up for Guinea and made no mistake from the penalty-spot to draw the game level, 1-1.

In the 40th minute the National Elephants took the lead after a great passing move inside the Guinea-Bissau box concluded with Abdoulaye Camara slotting home from close range, 2-1.

The second half started slowly and chances on goal were at a bare minimum.

The first real opportunity of the stanza only came on the hour mark courtesy of a stinging 25-yard free-kick from Guinea’s Seydouba Camara, but the Djurtus keeper made a find save to deny him.

In the 78th minute Guinea-Bissau almost equalised when Mutaro Embalo broke into the box from the left flank, but his shot from an acute angle was brilliantly saved by goalkeeper Abdoulaye Sylla.

The Djurtus threw numbers forward in search of a second goal, but Guinea defended stoutly to hold on for a hard fought 2-1 win.

Idrissa Halidou goals hands Niger WAFU group spot

A second half goal from Idrissa Halidou handed Niger a 2-1 win over Burkina Faso in a Last 16, 2017 WAFU Cup of Nations match at the Cape Coast Sports Stadium on Sunday, September 10.

The match started a little slowly with both sides squandering possession in the final third of the field.

The first real chance on goal came in the 17th minute when Niger’s Boubacar Hainikoye Soumana cut in from the left flank, beating one defender before firing just over the target from 20-yards out.

Boubacar Hainikoye Soumana was at it again eight minutes later when a powerful shot from the edge of the box deflected inches wide of the goal.

Burkina Faso came within inches of taking the lead on the half hour mark when Romeo Boni met a low left-wing cross from David Emmanuel Gora, but his eight-yard shot struck the crossbar.

The tournament saw its first goal from open play four minutes later when Boubacar Hainikoye Soumana showed great strength to fight off a defender and latch onto a through ball before duly lobbing the onrushing goalkeeper, 1-0.

Despite taking the lead, Niger suffered a bit of a set-back in the 40th minute when Hutmanu Ganiyu left the field injured and was replaced by Abdoul Moumouni Boubacar.

The half ended 1-0 in favour of Niger.

Burkina Faso came out firing at the start of the second half and made their pressure tell on the hour mark when substitute Hassamy Sansan Dah turned home a low right-wing cross from Adama Barro at close range, 1-1.

Niger, though, quickly hit back and took the lead for the second time in the 71st minute when Idrissa Halidou slipped in behind the Burkina Faso defence and slotted the ball between the legs of the advancing goalkeeper, 2-1.

Burkina Faso tried to find their way back into the game for a second time and threw numbers forward in attack, but they failed to break down the resolute Niger defence and exited the WAFU tournament.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.